According to the Consent Order’s allegations, and takeaways:
• NYS DMV’s Insurance Information & Enforcement System (“IIES”) enables law enforcement to know whether vehicles on the road lack insurance.
• As a public safety matter, injured motorists rely on the benefit of statutorily-required auto insurance.
• Insured vehicle information provided by insurers to DMV is used to identify, sanction, and ultimately remove uninsured vehicles from New York’s highways.
• DFS found that GEICO periodically failed to timely report certain insured vehicle information to the DMV through IIES and periodically failed to timely respond to DMV initiated mandatory verification notices, in violation of the Insurance Law and applicable regulations.
• No DFS press release was issued in conjunction with this enforcement matter.